Wednesday, January 25, 2006

MCAT studying tips

Hello everyone, I've been reading these forums for a while, and I decided to contribute something since I got my scores a few days ago. I'd like to explain my study "techniques" that got me a high score with a relatively short amount of studying (~ 1 month).

Some background: 4th year biochemistry student at a fairly prestigious university, no mcat prep courses, and this was my first time taking the test. I finished all of my courses at the end of the fall, so I could concentrate "full time" on studying for the January 25/26 exam date.

My study setup: sitting at my desk with my computer, listening to music, taking semi-frequent breaks (just don't overdo it).

First step, I picked up the entire ExamKrackers MCAT Prep series, with the chem, orgo, bio, and VR sections, as well as one written practice test. I actually picked this up last spring, but kept on putting off studying until it came down to it. During winter break, about a month before the exam, I started studying several hours a day. I found that the EK series provided almost everything I needed for the exam. If I had trouble understanding something, I usually checked wikipedia. One time I referred to a Physics SATII review book, so don't forget old sources and textbooks you may still have.

If you haven't looked at the EK series, each book is divided into several "lectures". My study habit consisted of reading each lecture in order, while taking detailed, yet highly condensed notes on my computer for each section. If you read the chapters carefully and try to absorb the material before moving on, it should be easy to do this. When I say condensed, I mean each lecture was reduced to about 1/3 of a printed page, 11 point font, with bullet points. For example, one bullet point says:

* peptide hormones: preprohormones cleaved in rough ER lumen to prohormones -> modified in golgi w/ cleavage and/or glycosylation -> exported via vesicle -> acts on effector (target cell) via receptor -> intracellular second messenger

If you condense the entirety of the exam material to 15 pages, it's no longer too much to handle and you can study *everything* multiple times per day!!

If you're able to write these notes as you study each section for the first time, and do not move on until you're able to answer all of the sample questions interspersed throughout each lecture, you should end up with a solid understanding of each concept. I averaged 1.5-2 lectures a day, leaving the 30-minute exams in the back of each book for later.

Once I'd finished with a book, I'd move on to another subject, then after completing those lectures, I'd return to a previously finished subject, review my condensed notes (remember, 3-5 pages for each entire subject), then take all of the 30 minute exams, stopping after each one to grade it, figure out my mistakes, reread the relevant content, and possibly update my notes if needed. I feel that mixing up the reading and the 30-minute exams gives both the necessary practice, as well as allowing you to review the material more effectively, so you can remember it. FYI, I was scoring fairly poorly on these (often around 8-9): I think they were rather difficult, but they were great practice if you went back to review to figure out your mistakes AND UNDERSTAND THEM!

Once I had gone through all the sciences, I started on the VR book for last, which then gave me all sorts of general tips at the beginning that I should have known as I was doing the rest of the series . Make sure you do this entire book, as I felt is was very helpful and took very little time.

As for the writing sample, I read the EK advice, read a few sample essays from AAMC, then condensed it down to this exactly:

1. explain statement and its context, why it applies to the human condition (1 paragraph). first sentence should present main idea, but allow for possibility that it may not always apply.
2. provide an example and clarify it (1 p) and maybe another example if you have time
3. provide a counterexample, develop/explain, and explain why it contradicts
4. provide guidelines for determining when it applies and when it doesn't, in context of the given examples

I believe that if you use flowery language, and more "touchy-feely" examples that would make liberal arts professor proud, that the graders will be more impressed with the writing. During the exam, I followed these steps exactly to create a quick paragraph-by-paragraph outline to make sure I didn't skip anything, then filled it in, finishing about 2-3 minutes before the 30-minute mark for each essay.

I should say that at this point, I had a pretty major obstacle come up with my studying plans: a bad case of the flu, starting about 5 days before the exam date. Considering how much I was cramming, this screwed things up considerably, as I could barely sleep, let alone function while trying to study. Still, I kept on trying, with generous doses of ibuprofen to keep the pain down, and large amounts of caffeine to keep me awake.

Moving on, once I had taken all my notes, done all the 30-minute exams, I still had not done any full length practice exams! Still, I went over my notes, printed out, while skimming the book alongside them. This helped make sure I could recall any diagrams, as well as again reinforcing everything in my mind. Once I felt fairly comfortable with this, it was actually the day before the exam. I signed up for the free electronic practice exam from AAMC and took that, scoring in the low 30's , but also occasionally using the "cheat" feature that would explain the answers. My entire purpose at this point was to drill as much of the material into my head as possible, and immediately after the practice test, I again went over my notes repeatedly. Since the entire set was 15 pages, I could do this multiple times very quickly.

That evening, I was still very sick and only managed to sleep for 4 hours. In the morning, I felt even worse, but still went on to take the test. I again took my notes with me to the exam room, and studied them over and over again, until I was called in to take the exam (see a pattern here?).

As for the exam, I somehow completely skipped 2 questions in PS that I didn't notice until there was <5 seconds left, so I couldn't even guess on them. I thought that was the hardest section. I followed my set of steps for the essay, did my VR with no idea of what score I'd get, but actually felt pretty good with the BS section. I felt that I may have done well enough to not void my score, so I went ahead and had it graded. I was honestly expecting something in the 20's, and spent my time up until the score release trying to decide when I was gonna retake the test.

When my scores were released (1 day late after 30 days... thanks AAMC), I checked them online and found a 38S! 15/12/11 (BS/VR/PS). Apparently my study habits worked well enough for a perfect score on biological sciences, and as good as I could ever expect on the VR. My PS score was obviously hit by the few questions that I skipped completely but still was respectable.

So, my main advice is to create a set of detailed, highly condensed notes, and *repeatedly* review them. This way, you won't get tripped up by obscure details or equations, since you'll have them all memorized. And if you did all the sample questions, you should be somewhat familiar with the testing style.

If you condense the entirety of the exam material to 15 pages, it's no longer too much to handle and you can study *everything* multiple times per day!!

What I'd do different: first, get a flu shot. second, I feel if I had even a few more weeks to study and do more practice exams, I could have scored even better, had I not been sick. Ideally, I would have set my own schedule across 3-4 months, but I still would have the same study process, just much more of it.

In addition: this study method is definitely not for everyone! If you require lots of structure (like a 2-3 month course), this obviously won't work. Also, I had learned almost all of the material before, but the courses were so long ago (such as AP chemistry from 10th grade) that I effectively was relearning everything as I went. I had taken more advanced material in the meantime, so that may have helped with a subconscious understanding of the fundamentals.

One last thing: I'd post my set of notes, but it's written in such shorthand that it would likely be detrimental for someone else to use it. Write your own set of notes, and the process itself will help you absorb the material.

Thanks to everyone that's posted on this board! It's been helpful reading from people in the same boat as me. To everyone who is still going to take the MCAT, good luck!
Last edited by gecko45; 02-27-2008 at 02:59 PM.

No comments: