Thursday, February 18, 2010

MAC PRINTER

So, I have this basic but sweet for it’s purpose, B&W Dell 1110 laser printer (also from what I’ve found it’s a Samsung ML-2010) and I’ve been trying to get it to work on my Mac and off for a couple months now which didn’t prove to be as easy as I had hoped.

I used to run this device off my Windows boxes for a couple of years with no problem. Though on the Mac I just couldn’t get it to work. So I had some time today and decided to do a bit more research and figure out how to get this thing pumping again.

From browsing around on the net it also seemed that the Dell 1110 is actually a Samsung ML-2010 just re-branded / white labeled for Dell. The first hurdle was finding out that the device drivers I needed were not actually Dell drivers but Samsung drivers. This brought me to Samsung’s website where I was able to find ML-2010 drivers for OSX.

Installing the Samsung ML-2010 Driver

* note: this solution did NOT fix my problem, though depending on your OSX version this may be the solution that works for you so I’m including in case you want to try it out for yourself.

To try these drivers out I…

  1. I went to the ML-2010 page on Samsung’s website.
  2. Under the “Downloads” tab click on ‘Drivers’. At the bottom I downloaded the OSX 10.3 ~ 10.6 driver and saved to my desktop.
  3. Unpack the zip file (double click it) which unpacks a file “Samsung SPL2 Installer.app”.
  4. Run the “Samsung SPL2 Installer.app” and this will install the drivers.
  5. Go add your printer

Now when you go to System Preferences –> Printers –> Add, during this process when you manually select a print driver choose “ML-2010″ which is the one you just installed and try it out. (* note do NOT choose “Samsung ML-2010″ this is different than the one you just installed, choose “ML-2010″).

So….that solution may work for you as mention though ultimately was NOT the solution that worked for me. The following solution is the one that finally got my 1110 working.

Installing SpliX Drivers

While searching on Google I came across a modified set of Samsung printer drivers to help get these devices working on the Mac called Splix. “This is a Mac OS X package for SpliX, a set of CUPS Printer drivers for SPL (Samsung Printer Language) printers.”

Similar to the same instructions as above…

  1. Go to the SpliX page.
  2. Download either the 1.1.1 or 2.0.0 drivers.
    (* 2.0.0 did NOT work for me, though as they note it was only tested on Snow Leopard which I don’t have, I only have Leopard. In which case the 1.1.1 drivers did the trick for me)
  3. Unpack the zip files which will extract either “Splix.pkg” or ”Splix-2.0.0.mpkg”.
  4. Install these drivers
  5. Go add your printer

Now when you go to System Preferences –> Printers –> Add, during this process when you manually select a print driver choose either “Samsung ML-2010, 1.1.0″ or “Samsung ML-2010, SpliX V. 2.0.0″ depending on which version of the SpliX package you installed.

Add the printer and try to print something. Hopefully, you will reach the Voila! moment as I did at this point and you are good to go. If this doesn’t work then I would try the other SpliX driver that you didn’t try the first time or even the Samsung driver itself.

Hope this helps cure a case of frustration for some of you.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=06010400&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=ML-2010&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P

No comments: