Saturday, February 6, 2010

Memory circuits

Here’s the key concept about my hack that I forgot to mention earlier: ridiculous/unforgettable images/occurrences will help engrave words and formulas into memory. To achieve this, a student must actively experience the real world more. Memory circuits (as I call these links) are built on humor and actual experiences. If say, a hang glider is involved in the memory circuit, then it helps to actually go out and fly on a hang glider to remember what it feels like. A memory circuit linking a foreign-language word or engineering equation to a hang glider will be stronger if the student actually ever flew on a hang glider. Watching funny movies and amusing Youtube videos can inspire students to think more creatively when making memory circuits (and amuse more crowds at social events).

“Humor” and “experience” helps a student to visualize memory circuits more vividly. When you make a ridiculous association more vivid and memorable, you can remember certain material more easily. I drew out my Latin memory circuits to enhance the visual experience, and even acted them out to help my classmates. Some thought I was crazy and that my system doesn’t work, but it will only work for you when you have the imagination and ability to visualize through 1) humor and 2) experience.

No comments: