Monday, October 26, 2009

Books Every Premed Student Must Read:

http://www.amazon.com/Montaigne-Essays-Michel/dp/014017897X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=in+the+land+of+invisible+women&sprefix=in+the+land+
If I could do it all over again, as a premed student if I could only read four books these are the books I wouldn't live without::


  • Med School Confidential - This is your guide from high school through residency. I can't recommend this book enough. Forget four books. If you could only buy and read one book, this is the book that will get you into and through medical school.
  • Essays That Will Get You into Medical School - This is your primary reference when approaching your personal statement. It begins with tips, how to's, and strategies, but then goes into a section that has actual essays written by actual students listed with the medical schools who accepted them. (Note: Currently out of stock @ Amazon.)
  • The Medical School Interview - This is your glimpse into the medical school interview from two perspectives: from the student being interviewed and from the person doing the interviewing. Both of them are important to have a better understanding of how the interview really works.
  • Complications - This is the best first hand account of a doctor's days and nights that I've ever read (and I've read a lot). He's a great writer and he has a great story. This is the book that I added to the old list. If your goal is to become a doctor and you want to know more about what goes on inside the mind of a doctor, this is the book you want to read. I think it's important to know this stuff. It's pleasure reading and... it's not. This is what you're getting yourself into after all.
I consider these four books required reading for all premed students. Feel free to disagree. But above all others, these books helped me to accomplish my goals. I'm sure they can do the same for you. Good luck.

No comments: