Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cut Text Books

I would take my textbooks to Kinkos after I had removed the front and back covers. I would have them cut the binding and punch three holes in the sheets so that I could place the pages in a three-ringed binder. I would removed only the pages that pertained to what I was studying for a particular lecture or week and place them in a separate (small binder) that was divided by subject. I would leave the rest of my textbook at home. My small 3-ring binder would have each subject for the day, the pages of text and the appropriate syllabus pages. I would preview each lecture the night before and add what I thought I would need for the day.

Purchase a set of bookbinding tools, such as those found on Peachey's website, to remove a traditional binding. Use these tools, particularly the scalpel, to help remove the book's binding without damaging the pages.

The first step is to make sure there is enough of a spine to permit you to punch the pages to put in a three-ring binder. If there is, use a sharp knife to cut through the fold in the front and back end sheets. This will allow the cover to be removed easily.
You can then use this same knife to slice through the spine to separate a group of pages (perhaps a chapter or two) from the book block. (Lay the book block flat on a bench, with the pages closed, and saw through the spine with the knife.) Punch this cut-off section to fit in a 3-ring notebook. Repeat as often as necessary.
If the spine of the book is not rounded, you can take the book block to a quick printer and get him to use his guillotine paper cutter to slice off approximately a sixteenth of an inch (2 millimeters) from the spine. This will cut off the adhesive and let the pages loose.
Leaving a chapter or two bound together is generally more satisfactory.

No comments: